PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Would it happen here?
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2015, 07:56
twentyyearstoolate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I started my career in 1987, since then I've gradually seen the shine wear off and the industry (from a Pilots perspective at least) get worse and worse in so many aspects. Particularly since 911.

Now with this event, the press are hammering the "distrust in Pilots" by highlighting all the events with the very few instances of Pilots with Mental Health Issues. All over the Aus news now is the BA Captain that murdered his wife a few years ago and had thoughts of crashing his 747. The Media just want sensationalist propaganda that sells. Look at how many millions of flights there are with no threat whatsoever. Unfortunately, there is risk in life everyday, and as tragic as this event is, there's little needs to be done, and certainly not the Funfair Showground the Polititions and Media are putting forward with FA's needed on the Flight Deck.

The FA rule puts forward a risk greater than the current situation IMO. It's still extremely low, but not lower than the current situation.

I have maybe 15 years left in this career, and I just want to retire earlier and earlier the more the Media, Polititions, Management and General Public keep changing the rules in the way I operate, and change my work environment as a professional when they clearly have no idea of the Job we do.

The industry has changed so much so quick. We get less and less remuneration and respect for the Job we do, but the requirements seem to increase. I know I just grind my teeth when I'm taking my watch off and belt off at security. I had a passenger piss himself laughing when, in full uniform, my Vegemite was confiscated from me in SYD (my mistake as I forgot I packed it)

One London security guard lectured me on how important it was that we are checked so thoroughly, as he said, and I quote "the 911 Hijackers were Pilots too"

Last edited by twentyyearstoolate; 30th Mar 2015 at 07:57. Reason: Spelling