PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Three Canadian airlines change cockpit policy after Germanwings crash
Old 27th Mar 2015, 04:08
Left Coaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 man Deck?

While I have to think that, at least in principle, your wish for a third pilot in the deck would work, it has a few big flaws. Just what else would that pilot do? Who is going to pay the already seriously pressured wages for an extra body on every flight? Are the next gen aircraft going to have a panel for the 3rd body to operate? It's whistling past the graveyard, or Tombstone policy, and unrealistic. I see calls for similar on other sites as well. If, in fact, the FO was suffering from a mental illness, it's time to open the dialogue about recognizing that our industry is no different than any other, and start working to recognize and treat this sad fact before we have something similar. Too many hours on duty, not enough rest, not enough money, not enough not enough not enough…the symptoms are clear. Don't even get me started about P2F and the strain that puts on young pilots. It's seriously time to talk about depression and mental illness in our industry. (I know something about it, as I have witnessed what it can do to someone close.)