PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RNZAF 757 Emergency Antarctic Landing report
Old 23rd Mar 2015, 02:15
Bob Viking

Received 553 Likes on 151 Posts
RNZAF 757 Emergency Antarctic Landing report

What strikes me when reading this is that to pass comment you need to be familiar with the locale.
For example, as a Brit I came to Canada thinking I'd experienced flying in winter weather before. I quickly realised that our Canuck friends are slightly more au fait with it than we are in Britain. It would be easy, as a Brit pilot, to read a report describing a similar incident in Canada and wonder why the hell they were operating in such conditions in the way they often do.
It is too easy to apply our own experiences to a situation and pass judgment based on them but I'm willing to bet the crew in this incident were not idiots.
Whilst we may look at this report and think we would have done things differently it is largely immaterial unless you are an RNZAF 757 Captain who has routinely operated into Antarctica.
I could be way wide of the mark of course and I'm sure many will disagree but I think it is too easy to sit in the comfort of an armchair and criticise when you probably don't have the full picture.
BV