PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Direct Entry Pilot.
View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2015, 10:19
Chief Willy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another option is to try and get an LGW base on SH. No "bidline" to deal with (they use Carmen at Gatwick) and you also get trump days for those all important weekends off, I am not sure how many though, but this can be a lifesaver for junior bods there.

A lot fewer nightstops, but this should mean being in your own bed most nights.

Some other slight differences from LHR in how leave works, as a general rule I think it is easier to take all your leave at LGW as you don't have to worry about making "cap" and thereby having to work wrap days. In the winter at LGW apparently it is easy to get extra days off attached to either side of leave but expect to be worked hard during the rest of the month. Days at work are more efficient with no time wasted in airside cafes (lots of this at LHR... very boring) waiting for your next sector, and turn arounds are short. Reserve blocks at LGW are only 4 or 6 days (28 days at LHR), but this does mean you'll probably do a reserve stint in most months.

I'll caveat that with saying I am not sure if they will offer LGW bases to new joiners as I think DEPs are only being offered LHR, but you can try and bid to move to LGW in the first annual fleet bid (again, no guarantee you'll be allowed to move across).