PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flybe - 7
Thread: Flybe - 7
View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2015, 00:44
EI-BUD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Absolutely. You get a bare bones product. Any extras you pay for a la carte. They may codeshare on a few routes but they're still low cost. They operate a single class cabin, use dynamic pricing, offer no complimentary catering, are moving toward online check in only, charge for a mobile boarding pass, no window shades on the dash which have the most basic cabin fit and max density, fairly homogenous fleet etc etc. Although none of these factors rule any airline in or out as low cost or not the fact that they use several of these factors commonly associated with LCCs then I think it fair to say they are a low cost airline and I certainly find their prices reasonable.
The definitions seem to be quite flexible in terms of low cost airline. As an example MOL has said in relation to LH and Eurowings, taking away meals on board does not make for low cost airline. Clearly, BE have had no meals on board for some time, but in my view while you give some very correct factors for defining a low cost airline. Here are some of the reasons that I deem them not to be low cost:

Profitability
They have achieved reasonable loads and collect above average fares, yet they haven't exactly been profitable? Making losses is costly business!

Fleet
They have a mixed fleet of Q400's, 2 similar jet types and now will introduce some ATR's which have already featured in the Nordic operation. So not simplified in terms of fleet. Equally, the noose around their neck is the Embraer leases, they have been trying to off load these owing to cost. No low cost here either. The 175 were a mistake and they admitted as much in terms of saying that the Q400 is a much better aircraft cost wise.

Leadership
More over they have no clear strategy. They don't lead on cost and their recently advised plan is not translating into real life action. London City was their return to London in a serious way and a batch of routes operate head to head wiht BA and pre 9am arrivals at LCY incur enormous charges. Equally, they are chopping and changing their routes at a rate of knots.

They do not lead on any aspect of their offering in my view. They should be sticking to routes that are too thin for real LOCOs and in those markets offer frequency, Manchester Scotland routes and Belfast UK Regional routes are good examples of where they fair well.

You referred to codesharing, in my view this is a strength and a scale of these agreements is impressive.

They have back out of competition against Eastern who are a small outfit who charge high fares.

MockingJay, this is how I see it. I do however, wish them well. There is a sweet spot for them and it is not going head to head with BA Cityflyer or reopening routes that failed before.