PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flybe - 7
Thread: Flybe - 7
View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2015, 22:07
kcockayne

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was asked to come up with suggestions for BEE, so here goes (despite this being a very "poisonous chalice").
Given the recent nature of start/stop new routes, closure/re-opening of bases, parallel pax. operations planned from 'HH & 'HI, removal from service/re-introduction to service of E195s, scaling down/scaling up of the DH8 fleet, new colour scheme, redundancy of pilots/re-hiring of same, start of the joint venture in Finland/sale of the joint venture, 'MC venture start/stop ?, entry into 'LC/ pulling out of 'LC/re-entry to 'LC/pulling out of 'LC ?, closing of bases/re-opening of bases, withdrawal of the 'JJ-'HI nightstop/re-introduction of same/re-withdrawal of same etc., it has been my purpose to draw attention to these puzzling inconsistences, contradictions &, apparently, lurching wildly from one thing to another (& back again).
These actions cannot possibly have filled the investors with confidence ! & they must surely have played their part in undermining confidence in the airline & causing financial problems for it.
Some of these decisions were taken by the old management, but most by the new. Therefore, the finger of responsibility must be taken, in the main, by the new management.
Whoever does the route planning & development surely is most responsible. The very top management relies upon their expertise & cannot be blamed too severely for following their advice; or for trying to put it right.
These events have happened & are evidenced by their very actuality. They are a fundamental part of BEE's problems. They cannot be ignored.
It can be readily accepted that the old management took the decisions which led to the airlines dire financial problems (& presided over the airline while things went from bad to worse). But, it can also be seriously argued that , having taken ( & implemented) some painful decisions, the new management, if not totally repeating the old mistakes, are now presiding over the new.
They have, after all, managed, apparently, to get the share price back down to near its old level.
My suggestions, therefore, are:-
1. Review the effectiveness of the decision making processes of the management team by examining all decisions made & how & why they were made & who made them; & improve it where possible; if necessary, get rid of it. In the light of events there certainly seems to be some room for manoeuvre here.
2. Put in place an effective & capable route planning department.
3. Re-constitute the Board, where necessary.
4.Stop painting the aircraft purple.
5. Stop handing out the chocolates.
6. Close all unprofitable routes.
7. Make appropriate redundancies.
8. Reduce pay, especially the Directors etc..
9. Sell/return to lessors unusable a/c (I know they are trying to do this).
10.Cancel the deal for at least some of the new second hand DH8s.
11. Determine whether new routes WILL be profitable BEFORE they start operating, & NOT after.
12.Take on more 3rd. party work (accepted that they already plan to do this).
13.Renegotiate all agreements made with suppliers, services, airports etc.
14. Pull out of 'LC & 'MC.
15. Abandon plan to operate (incl. a base at) 'FF.
16.Abandon plan to operate parallel routes out of 'HH & 'HI.
The buck stops at the management's door. They are the management & they have to put things right. It is all very well to say, as Deano777 does, that "they have taken decisions ( & got some of them wrong), but at least they have taken decisions, rather than do nothing".
What the airline needs is "The Right Decisions" before it is too late.
It's easy for me, not being involved in the running of the airline & in having no responsibility for it & its employees, to spout all these ideas; & I am seriously NOT trying to be a "Know All" here (I admit my ignorance of running an airline); but surely, much of what I have said is common sense & not just "bashing the management".
I do so very genuinely wish the airline, its management & potential passengers well ! But, I could not resist trying to put forward what I perceived as the contradictions, confusion & truth (or at least part of it) as I see them.