PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GATWICK
Thread: GATWICK
View Single Post
Old 18th Mar 2015, 22:49
True Blue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have always been slightly puzzled by this accepted concept that Lgw can be a death bed for many airlines but Lhr is the place to make loads of money. The reason I get confused is this. Many talk about Lgw being just a waiting room for Lhr. Maybe that is true. What puzzles me is those who make it work. Emirates, Turkish and now we read that Icelandair is taking their Lgw service to daily from 2016. Not all airlines have made a success of Lhr, I think I am right in saying that China Airlines and Philippines Airlines both cut back on services? I also assume that BA and VS have not lost money on ALL their routes over all the years they have been operated, yet kept them going, from Lgw.

I read recently that Air China claimed that they could fill 4 flights a day ex London, if only they could get the slots. So are they saying that out of that demand, which they cannot satisfy as they cannot get the slots at Lhr, that they could not get enough pax to pay a decent yield to operate one flight a day ex Lgw. I know that Air China did operate briefly from Lgw.

So I am wondering this:
1. Do airlines have a fascination with Lhr, to the point of making poor decisions? Think Vietnam Airlines. How will they benefit when they have no direct competition from London.
2. Does a service from Lgw have a bigger effect on their Lhr flights than they thought would happen? The Lhr flight is weakened more that they thought so they pull Lgw. Neither Air China nor Korean gave their Lgw service much of a chance so I am not sure how they could decide so quickly.
3. Lhr claims to have about 30 airlines on a waiting list, some waiting for years. So are they all saying that it is better to wait for years with no service than try Lgw?

One of the reasons prompting my thinking is that not all big companies make good decisions, there are obvious examples at the minute. Is the dislike of Lgw really all based on fact, or a lot of it on opinion? The rest are in Lhr, we need to be there as well mentality.

TB