PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where are the good old days ?
View Single Post
Old 10th Jun 2003, 21:12
ShenziRubani

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Capt BK, I go along with your thread, you are right.
I am sorry to see that so many of you feel bitter and kindda sad about the job. Of course you have lived the amazing years of commercial aviation and things that none of us would ever experience. But things change, they always change, they have always changed, and it is sad to see that some do take it so seriously.
I respect all of you who have been flying our dream machine for the last 25 years, those of you that have made us dream of becoming a pilot one day when we were looking at you coming down the alley with your flashy stripes and your hats. I always felt this incredibly strong feeling of admiration, dream and respect.
And I loved planes, from as far as I can remember, I love planes.
Today, I fly commercially, a job most of you 'old boys' would never do or have never gone for, somewhere in Africa, ****ty little singles and twins, overweight most of the time, crappy weather with no radio aid, and for a crap pay (compared to the 6 figures some of you, my Lords, have been clearing in the "Golden Age" of aviation - go discuss this to someone doing under $18K and working 8 hours a day, 7 days a week). But I love it. I always wanted to do it, I always wanted to fly those machines and what better than being paid for it. And I remember seeing you coming down the alley and I have a big smile on my face. From here I will probably go regional or maybe corporate, or even cargo, and I guess that in 20 years I'll be complaining too about the conditions, about the wages, about the changing times. And I'll remember this thread, but today I love it, I wouldn't do any other job, even for more money. Oh yeah, I'm one of these stupid romantics. Until I become one of those grumpy old men.

Yes, I guess there's a better career prospect at McDonald or Disney, and if I'm lucky I could save enough to fly on weekends. Well, I think it would be really good for a lot of us, if the unhappy ones decide to leave, retire, and go fishing the tarpon.

Let's not be too extreme though, I understand that it has changed in the wrong direction, and it is really not as great as it was, but for those who entered the career in the last years, it is still a very nice, fun, job, and we know we won't make the big pay you had, but we'll still do it as good as you did it and with the same passion.