PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Live DFDR Download
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2015, 13:00
mbapilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you for the responses that I have received so far.

What is the objective of Live DFDR/CVR streaming?

In trying to meet your objective, why the urgency of having that data delivered live? What shortfall are you trying to address?
The study that I am carrying out, is looking into what technology is available to help out with situations such as MH370. Not only is the aircraft and people on board still missing, but the data to help us create a picture of what happened is also irretrievable at this present time.

So as a small part of this assignment I am looking into the prospect of Live Data/CVR downloading that will not only track where the airplane is, but will give this valuable information immediately should it be required, without worrying about retrieving the Black Box and whether its in tact and information is useful.

So as I said in my original post, I have already researched and considered issues such as cost/bandwidth/technology etc. but I was more curious as to how this makes pilots feel.
Not sure what you are afraid of here. Being an Airman you should report any abnormal that threatened safety of flight
The reason I ask, is that not all of us work in a company that treats all employees fairly and provide pilots with freedom of speech within there own environment, and there have been instances of normal 'pilot-talk' in the flight deck being used against said pilots in disciplinary matters. Not every pilot around the globe is protected by unions and fair tribunals. And as a professional airman, I am very proactive in reporting all abnormals in my job that affect safety.

The CVR is normally "protected" by legislation following an accident or serious incident. There is generally no legislation preventing its use in other circumstances however, most employer / employee agreements will constrain its use as a monitoring tool.
I agree with 'normally protected' and 'most employers', however this is not the case with everyone worldwide.

Once again, thank you for everyones contributions so far. I look forward to gathering more data soon enough.