PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Four lessons on circuits and I'm still doing bad...
Old 9th Mar 2015, 11:06
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Much will depend on your type. Please do tell.

But:..... basic flying technique, if it's a jet. A circuit is a visual manoeuvre yet you still need to pay close attention to the instruments. Tiny changes in attitude can have large changes in V/S and are not easy to detect looking at the horizon.

1.Know the power/pitch settings. Set the datums and make delicate adjustments +/- those datums.
2.TRIM. TRIM. TRIM. Ensure you are in perfect pitch trim, then hold the control column very lightly; finger & thumb.
3. Check the power setting is sensible.
4. Consider what phase of flight you are in. Check if the 'performance' numbers are correct: Start with attitude. Is it sensible for what I want to do? Confirm the performance via IVSI. If it's good leave it, if not adjust it....gently. Reset the attitude, trim and remember it. Look outside. Check IAS; adjust thrust as necessary. Look outside. Check Track/HDG. Same applies. Know what is the priority and check the relevant instrument for the phase of flight.
5. On approach start with Attitude; check Glide slope, check IVSI. Adjust as necessary (gently) and ensure correct trim. Check Speed and Power. Adjust as necessary.
6. Don't focus on one item too long; your eyes are outside - inside at one parameter - outside - inside at one parameter - outside..................
7. Be aware/clear what is controlling V/S and what is speed. In some phases it is Pitch & Power (level flight & approach) in Climb it is Power & Pitch (jets).
8. RELAX. ENJOY. Circuits are fun.