PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 230 Sqn shenannigans?
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2015, 20:13
airpolice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
30mRad wrote:
I seem to believe that his flight commanders protected him for some reason....

In 1974 I was driving an Air Traffic Landrover and collided, unseen by any witness, with some runway lights, causing a fair bit of damage. This was due to;

inexperience
lack of supervision
and exuberance on wet grass.

On confessing all to a friendly Warrant Officer, telephone calls were made, and I was then sent to speak to a very accommodating senior man at DoE who arranged for repairs, and it was blamed on a Lightning detachment who had been in during the day.

In 1976 I misjudged the gate (at high speed) at the entrance to the ops site and tore the side panels off the crewbus. The Finningley MTO accepted a cash bung, paid not to him, but to the MT Section Tea Fund, as they were in competition with Marham, I think, for the most miles covered without an accident.

The second incident was covered up for the benefit of the man doing the fiddle, so I can see why it suited him to let me escape, but the DoE guy and my boss saved my skin when not only was there nothing in it for them, but they could have been in deep **** if the truth had emerged while they were still serving.

I was at the time, a teenager, with little appreciation of the serious potential of such events.

This (IX(B) Squadron allegation) is about supporting an offender who would have been old enough to know better, as would the guys covering it up.

That's one of the odd things that I now see quite a bit of.

There's no explaining why an an innocent person would enter into a conspiracy to cover up wrongdoing, involving (up to that point) only other people.

If your mate is in the ****, then throwing him a rope is one thing, but getting into a different pile of **** beside him, is another kettle of fish entirely!