PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flybe - 7
Thread: Flybe - 7
View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2015, 13:14
Flatspin Fumble

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's interesting to see Flybe are going into CWL, and I wish them well. CWL has, historically, been a bit of a graveyard for Regional Airlines over the last 15 - 20 years.

Their share price has been dismal over the last 12 months and am sure that the investors, are getting frustrated about the lack of positive progress and Flybe's financial statement in January, did nothing to please them, in fact quite the reverse, following all the redundancies, the rebranding of Flybe into the purple way, along with all the hype, the only reason Flybe are still in business, is probably due to the £150 million the CEO, secured from the city a year ago and managed to persuade them, that this Company was one in which to invest and the past was behind them and moving forward and I think Saad Hamaad deserves credit for securing that deal. Touring the bases following the restructuring announcement, with senior management, dressed in some bizarre costumes along with a Mexican band beggared belief. However, he is the new man at the controls, and running the airline, that was his decision, one assumes.

The fact Flybe has a number of 195's sitting on the ground, costing some £26 million a year is not helping and therefore, I rather suspect, that the current CEO has ordered his commercial team, to do something " visible " to pacify the frustrated investors, hence the decision to base two aircraft at CWL, which appears to be sponsored by The Welsh Development Agency, so I would imagine, the cost to Flybe is probably minimal. It's a curious decision, because, Flybe has always maintained, that it was uneconomic to have two stand alone airframes in a base. I also think, Flybe's route planning does appear somewhat haphazard, almost akin to pining the " tail on the donkey " after a night at the Jug and Claret. Sure, I think it's better to use the grounded jets to do something, but the investors are not stupid, they need to see results, before their patience runs out, once the £150 million has been spent, I don't really know where Flybe go to get more cash, to keep the business solvent. I think the next 12 months or so will be the deciding factor, whether this Company is still in business - I hope they survive and my doubts about their survival are proved wrong and that all the loyal employees ultimately enjoy some reward, which the new directors received with their " Golden Hello's, Huge Salaries and Share Incentives "

Last edited by Flatspin Fumble; 6th Mar 2015 at 15:53. Reason: Typo