PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Live DFDR Download
View Single Post
Old 5th Mar 2015, 13:51
mbapilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Live DFDR Download

As part of a MBA assignment, I am doing some research into the measures available to enhance aviation safety, with regards to Live DFDR/CVR downloading.

Background History
I myself am a pilot, and I am also studying for a Master’s Degree in Aviation Management. My assignment is is to evaluate recent accidents, focusing on MH370 and MH17.

As part of this, assignment, I am looking into the proposed suggestion of live data downloading, in order to track aircraft and also the final moments before a crash/accident/incident occurs.

What I require
I have already weighed up costs and technology implications etc. but what I am looking for, is how we as a group of pilots feel about the prospect of every switch we press, every discussion we have could be potentially scrutinised on day to day line flying.

Some questions I am proposing…
Irrespective of cost to company etc. I am looking for answers from a pilots point of view on how something like this would make us feel.

Do you feel Live DFDR downloading is an invasion of privacy?
Would you feel more pressure on your day to day job?
Are you happy with the information being readily available to our employers even on flights without incident?
Should the data only be sent and stored to a external party unless required due to incident/accident?
What instances should the data be allowed to be used?
Should we have Live DFDR downloading?

I would also like to know whether company culture and the places that we work have an effect on peoples opinions, and whether being part of a pilot union feels makes people feel a little more secure?

I appreciate that this is a complex subject and I am merely scratching the surface with these questions, but I would just like to get an understanding of how people would feel.

All data will remain completely anonymous and will only be used for my research.

Below is a link for a survey raising the above points should anyone wish to take part.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/SDZWQPQ

Thanks you in advance, and please feel free to discuss below.