PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JAR - General Navigation Q&As
View Single Post
Old 24th Jun 2001, 19:38
BackSeatDriver

A number of interesting points have cropped up lately, so I thought I would take the time to answer some of them....

Send Clowns asked where I got the questions from.....

The questions came from a variety of different sources including other ground schools, but most came from our own students at PPSC and some have been corroborated by an 'impeccable' source. As to the question of copyright, the only outfit that can really lay claim to the copyright of these questions is JAA itself, but since the questions are used in public exams, they are in the public domain and (like University Examinations) can be used by anyone. As far as I am concerned (and this point was agreed with the MD) our 'feedback' questions are NOT copyright, which is why when I hand them out to our students I print 'Courtesy of PPSC' on them and NOT the copyright symbol. My hope is that the questions WILL get circulated and that was the whole point of 'publishing' them in this forum.

ATCNightmare asked 'does it really matter' where they came from......

I think I have explained my attitude to that....

Tosh McCaber asked about the accuracy of the answers to the questions........

I can only say that I have spent a great deal of my (non-company) time going through the answers AND questions checking their accuracy and adjusting them where I felt necessary. I should point out, however, that there are STILL some, shall we say, contentious questions; in those cases I have highlighted what we BELIEVE are the 'required' answers (as opposed to 'correct' ones). Having said all that, I am only human, so I reserve the right to be wrong (Good grief!! Did I REALLY say that???). Oh... and Tosh, thank you for your kind words; nice to know my efforts have been appreciated.

Oshkosh suggested that nasty Mr JAA might delete the questions from the data bank.......

If I thought there was the slightest possibilty that JAA could amend their question database that quickly, I wouldn't have bothered putting the questions here. The amendment procedure is so protracted and complicated, I'm not even sure THEY understand it! It is true that new questions are being added to the database, but the whole system seems to be run by committees populated by European fatcats who don't talk to each other and seem incapable of organising a p***-*p in a brewery, let alone actually agreeing on anything..... (just my personal opinion!!) Incidentally, I think our CAA is simply doing the best they can (in trying circumstances) to establish some order on the chaos that the other Member States have created (again, my personal opinion!! Who was that calling me a cynic? See me later!!)

OK.... think that's all for now, I will be pushing out another section of questions shortly..........

[This message has been edited by BackSeatDriver (edited 24 June 2001).]