PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Trike Accident Yarrawonga
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2015, 23:05
Stikybeke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't get me wrong here Super Cecil, I'm not having a dig at the bloke in any way. In fact, I thought my posts were, if anything, supportive of his military experience. His experience (in particular on trikes) and instructional capabilities are well known and highly respected but it's what happens (sometimes) away from the the controlled environment of a watchful eye that turns things pearshape. It would appear from the newspaper articles provided that he's unfortunately had some direct experience in that regard as evidenced by the Temora accident.

XT starts this thread with information regarding a formation Trike flight overhead Yarrawonga and subsequent formation landing along with some concerns raised in this regard. Now maybe he saw this, which would be evidence, as he also provides some information regarding a formation landing on the newly opened ultralight strip and provides some (formation) positional information regarding the pilot involved at time of impact.

If formation (or even just normal) trike flying over the township is occurring and an accident were to happen involving loss of life overhead a closely populated area I'm fairly confident there would be a whole stack of legalities to be addressed at Coronial standard and from there it would probably go down hill fast.

When I stated.....

A good skill set with the right aircraft in the right location and at the right altitude but maybe it might be time to seriously review that practice taking into account the prevailing circumstances...

What's that thing about holes and swiss cheese?
The suggestion that I was making was perhaps if one looks at the collective big picture of why trike accidents occur (which usually have nothing to do with the construction or structural composition of the aircraft) it might be timely, if it hasn't already been done, to review this and if something unsafe, illegal or downright stupid was knowingly or inadvertently occurring, put a stop to it before it gets a whole lot worse. God knows we've all made mistakes and what better way to improve then through survived error and lessons learned.

With regards to the military flight experience, quite some time ago now, I did my aerobatic, spinning and other endorsements with instructors who were primarily all ex RAAF QFI's. I know that UL has had the same experience at the same place and aside from some improvements with aircraft types, nothing much has changed and so like him, I also believe people who tell me they've got military flight experience unless something comes to light to prove otherwise. Now I should point out that I knew about these instructors and their capabilities before I went there as it was marketed in that regard.

I was just speculating that aside from the brief comment on the YFT website (and a post on YouTube) there is nothing further supportive of the military flying anywhere, that's all. Surely his business could only benefit from a marketing standpoint with just a bit more information in this regard. I made these comments with the intention of being a help, not a hindrance.

Stiky

Last edited by Stikybeke; 3rd Mar 2015 at 23:23.