PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bleeding heart delays flight deporting illegal immigrant
Old 3rd Mar 2015, 22:36
IsDon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And in recent developments, Herald Sun today reports on a Jetstar flight that was forced to turn back to Melbourne on Sunday night because of an unruly passenger drinking and smoking onboard. The passenger has since been placed on the no-fly list, and will be unable to travel with the Qantas Group until further notice.

We don't put up with these morons at the footy, they are bounced out of the stadium and banned, why shouldn't they be banned from traveling as well?

This course of action needs to be widely publicised. If people knew in advance that they may face a ban then might not play up in the first place.

I remember, not so long ago, I was operating a late flight from Perth to Sydney. There was an issue on the aero bridge when a business punter was borderline on whether he would be allowed on. He had a few under his belt but was coherent, ambulatory and compliant. He was quizzed by the gate staff and CSM but assured everyone to their satisfaction that all he wanted to do was sleep for the next four hours.

You make a call on the day based on your experience and he appeared low risk.

Just after top of climb I went back to the loo. Before I got there I found the CSM and this "gentleman" in heated discussion. Apparently he didn't like the CSM's attitude in calling into question his fitness to fly and while not physically abusive, yet, the situation was deteriorating rapidly.

When he saw me he started into me wanting to know what I was going to do about it. I explained to the person concerned that the CSM was doing his job. As for what I was going to do,

"Well sir, do you know where we are exactly"?

"No"

"Actually we just passed over Kalgoorlie"?

"So"

"Well sir, you see that is now our closest diversion airfield".

Nothing in reply, I think he was starting to process what he was hearing.

"You see sir, we are about to divert there in order to offload an unreasonable and abusive passenger".

Beginning to turn a shade of white.

"Now do you know what will happen when we arrive"?

Almost imperceptible shake of the head reminiscent of a schoolboy about to get the cane.

"Well sir, we'll be met by several Kalgoorlie coppers, and have you seen the size of a Kalgoorlie copper?"

"No......."

"Well let's just say I wouldn't want to mess with them. They will come on board once we land and frogmarch our abusive passenger off the plane, in front of the rest of the passengers. They will then throw him in the cells for the night."

"The aircraft will then continue on the Sydney, sans abusive passenger, but that won't be the end of it."

"Really?"

"Oh no, you see that passenger will find himself on a no fly list meaning the only way to get back to Perth will be to hitchhike. Qantas will then seek to recover the cost of diversion of the flight from the person causing the diversion. That can run into several thousand dollars. Also, the media will probably want to know why the flight diverted, resulting in the passengers name and details of the whole event will be splashed all over The West Australian."

"Oh"

Several seconds later the man was shaking the CSMs hand and apologising. He slept the rest of the way.

You see, faced with the harsh reality of the consequences of one's actions, most people will tow the line.

Last edited by IsDon; 3rd Mar 2015 at 23:02.