PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Easy PAN PAN "Low Fuel" LGW 1/3/15
View Single Post
Old 2nd Mar 2015, 23:32
VJW

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts
Kimmeros you are quite correct. Minimum Fuel call if you are committed to an airport (i.e. no longer have alternate fuel to go anywhere else), and MAYDAY if you anticipate using Final Reserves. Our last recurrent had an exercise with exactly that situation. The lack of priority for the Easy yesterday only confirmed that to me. He was given no4 to land with no delay expected after his PAN. PAN was officially not the correct call, he declared Minimum fuel and then with that clearance from ATC, both he and ATC should know that any further delay might cause him to declare a MAYDAY. Problem with yesterday though was it wasn't due to no contact at minimums, it was due to windshear, so there was no real guarantee second time round would work either other then he did ask quite rightly if anyone else behind him had no landed to which the answer was yes. While I believe MAYDAY might be something we all really try to avoid saying, I most likely would have gone from Minimum fuel to MAYDAY in the same time he went from Minimum Fuel to PANPAN.

While I'm not sure what their planning consisted of, I can say that once in that situation they handled it as calmly as they could, and were extremely professional sounding over the freq.