PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Easy PAN PAN "Low Fuel" LGW 1/3/15
View Single Post
Old 2nd Mar 2015, 08:34
VJW

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts
Easy PAN PAN "Low Fuel" LGW 1/3/15

Just a little note if they're to read this to say job very well done to the lads calm way of dealing with what was an awful 10 minute spell in LGW yesterday evening around 1800z. It was EZY32KL from Basel, or EZY75PR from Prague or both (think is was the former).

I was holding at WILLO when I heard two easy's had just done a go around after one another (might have been a windshear escape manoeuvres). One declared 'min fuel' straight away and asked for wx at STN and LGW..ATC was very good too as you'd expect, although she did keep forgetting to give them the updated wind when they asked for the weather (cloud layer and vis was never going to be a factor to be fair), which was getting on my nerves so must have been getting on theirs. Before long with lots of A/c in and around the area, the EJ declared a PAN in a calm but assertive manner.

I was on a 8 mile final at this point and there was a decent CB 4 miles south of LGW and with the wind at that altitude, it was obviously right over the field on their approach. I was expecting to be taken off the approach to allow the EJ in, and even though I'm loco Irish, I would have suggested the same, however the only path at the time that was clear of the weather for me was the approach path. I in fact did the landing much to the subtle annoyance of my 300 hour FO who was PF, and it was sporty to stay the least even when I landed.

In any case, I fly EJ to my base of work each week, and will continue to do so. Great, professional job by all.