PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LUTON -8
Thread: LUTON -8
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2015, 20:50
gilesdavies

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Double back tracking for take offs

I was just watching the Luton video detailing the expansion of the airport, and ended up watching one or two other videos which YouTube suggests that are similar to what you have just watched.

I ended up watching some video from a spotter who was filming the morning rush at the airport... Anyway in this video I noticed that on the take offs several examples of where two aircraft were on the runway at once for take off.

For example, the first aircraft would sent to back track down the runway and to turn around, then hold, and then all of a sudden the aircraft from behind would then be sent on to the runway and either take off from taxiway turning on to the runway or back track down a little way and turn around from there and take off. So in-effect the second aircraft is airbourne first and then the first aircraft on to the runway takes off.

I have never seen this happen before, but is quite a novel way of maximising runway usage at peak times. Is this common practise now?
(To be fair though I haven't flown out from the airport in the morning rush in over 7-8 months and usually on late morning or afternoon flights.)