PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Save the UK Police Air Support - e-petition
Old 1st Mar 2015, 09:03
tigerfish

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
RP,
Policing might be that quiet in OZ but I can assure you that in the UK most times in our Cities it is not.

As a Chief Inspector in the 80's I was getting totally disillusioned by the numbers of fast Hatchbacks that were being stolen. Most of the time just to try & goad the Police into entering into high speed chases. I can tell you it was bloody dangerous.

Then came ram raiding! The UK rapidly became the ram raiding capital of Europe. Again it was pretty hopeless, - we had lost the initiative and were suffering as a result.

The advent of the Police helicopter gave us back that initiative, we caught the ****ards nearly every time. That soon stopped their game.
Muggings were reduced too! Photographing accident scenes only came about because we were airborne anyway and could do it on the way back from an operational shout. So did many other less important cases.

But part of our trouble was that our efficiency brought about a reduction in crime, & politicians wanted to spend elsewhere. At the same time many of our units forgot the vital need to keep on telling people just how good we were at keeping the lid on it.

Well its practically all gone now NPAs reins supreme and rapid response a thing of the past. I wonder how long it will take before the criminal realizes its open house again!
TF

Last edited by tigerfish; 1st Mar 2015 at 09:07. Reason: mistakes in grammer