PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK NPAS discussion thread: Mk 5
View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2015, 07:36
tigerfish

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
TFO,
What I was saying was this. In the old days units were aware that their neighbors might be down due to defect or maintenance and we covered them until they were back up. But most of the time they were there, and the true area that we covered was manageable. Today the bases are too far apart and the jam spread too thin.
I wonder why all those aircraft from so far away call in at Bristol, they must be doing a hell of a lot of flying around but are they doing Police Work?
I am not bashing NPAS for bashing's sake. Indeed I have argued for a Nationally organized Police Air wing since the early 1990's.
BUT it was always proposed that a National Police Air wing would Increase cover and efficiency. Cost savings made by economies of scale in fuel purchasing, maintenance and insurance etc etc NOT by reducing the fleet and coverage.
NPAS was not created to increase efficiency but merely and only to save money, and for that reason it simply cannot work. For air support to work properly it needs to be quickly on scene and easily summoned.
Early lessons were forgotten saving money the only mantra.
TF