PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK NPAS discussion thread: Mk 5
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2015, 11:50
tigerfish

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In 2004 I wrote a booklet entitled "On a Higher Beat". It charted the development of UK Police Aviation from the early days through to 2004 when it could be argued that we led the world in that area.

Sadly as the 2,000's wore on the Gov't lost interest in fighting domestic crime and started to cut back on funding. By that time most Chief Constables had lost their (Spherical Objects) and had become puppets of the political pressure being brought to bear on them.

Sadly the often hoped for National Police Air Wing was seized upon by one CC as a charter, not for Increasing efficiency by savings on bulk purchase and economies of scale, but purely as a way of saving money by reducing efficiency and coverage.

Warnings were given by those of us who sensed impending disaster but they were dismissed out of hand.

in 2014 I started a rewrite of "on a Higher Beat" charting the years of decline and inefficiency, and starting to look to the future, perhaps involving the other emergency services as aid to spreading the financial load.

The book is almost complete now, but the truth is that I have lost heart. What was once a real aid in getting to grips with burgeoning crime had become todays failure, and just as I had predicted it gives every sign of entering terminal decline.

If anyone would like to see the latest version PM me with an E mail address and I will send a copy to you.

TF

Last edited by tigerfish; 23rd Feb 2015 at 13:42. Reason: clarification