PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Your Longest Period Out Of Work
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2015, 18:19
Propellerpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I luckily never had issues with fellow crew members except for a very odd and newly employed inexperienced flight attendant who must have a "very special" relationship to the autocratic boss of that former company...

She threw a fit and some tears... and that was then unjustly used against me... probably because shortly before I pissed management off as I had voiced some other well meaning and genuine concerns, some on unfair rostering and others boundering on flight safety and clear violation of the OM by management (e.g. crewing together of inexperienced crew as defined therin etc.).

I could not be punished for the latter so the former was utilized to lay me off, as they claimed and alleged I no longer fit the team and NOBODY suddenly wanted to fly or work with me any longer... for shure - after a first shock and speaking to collegues I had worked with on a daily basis for over 2 years I realised they too were in shock and could not believe what had happend and they offered me their full support in their own limited capacity; my supervisionary captains immediately supplied me with exellent references and recommendations. We continue to stay in touch to this day (thanks again "guys" if you ever read this... it will not be forgotten). If I ever receive a chance to help them out - I certainly will.

It takes a while to come to grips with these things psychologically, so having some time off to reflect what actually happend was actually a good thing - also talking to other "senior" pilots helped - just to realize, that what happened to me is actually not that special or uncommon in a carreer. This experience also helped me to realize how important it is, to cut your losses and move on. Pondering over these things or holding a grudge just does not help in any way. Take time and do stuff you did not get to do while on the job - my electric guitar certainly lost a bit of it's dust.

However I can not deny that this made me so much more aware, what to watch out for and there are human factors involved, that we can not change, also when dealing and communicating with others - especially those who you only superficially know via the company blackberry.

When asked in interviews, why I left the company, still poses a challenge to me, as I remain a bit afraid they would judge it in the wrong way, as I do prefer sticking to the truth as I have experienced it. As time of other employment now passes, this will also eventually become less of an issue for me I guess.

At least I can still look into the mirror and say I have stood up for myself and what I believe in, was tought and trained for at CRM. I did what was right for me and my passengers' safety even though the personal loss was high - losing a great team to work with and of course the financial burden to keep currency. Last but not least, I had a really good time in that company and a chance to gain a lot of experience, which I can use to my advantage in the new company I now work for.

Maybe this story can also help others, who suddenly find themselves in such awkward situations at work. That is the only reason I posted this tonight.