PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar Second Officer Plans
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2015, 21:20
Lookleft

Received 195 Likes on 90 Posts
The only reason the Second Officer position is around is to save bean counters money.
The same reason cadets were used particularly in Jetstar.

If companies want cadets they need to invest in their training.
That statement goes back to the first quote.

How many European carriers do you see losing aircraft on a regular basis?
Air France.

The best way of learning is being in a control seat, just like how you and I learnt the trade.
Couldn't agree more. If you had the same career path that would have been light twins, F/O regional, Command regional, F/O domestic jet, Command domestic jet.

The issue with 321 was concerning enough for them to be resticted for 12 months before being endorsed. The FAA is a world leader in aviation regulation and they have a 1500 hour requirement for F/Os. The Senate here recommended the same thing for jet F/Os in Oz but we don't have a world class regulator.

Experience and training is starting to emerge as a safety issue in recent accidents. My intent is not to denigrate cadets, as I stated they have strengths and weaknesses, but I also don't consider the G/A career path to be irrelevant when it comes to flying an RPT jet. The only voice on this thread that has been a cadet and an S/O thinks its a good way of being introduced to RPT jet operations, and that is good enough for me.