PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Philippines plane off runway as Pope departs
Old 15th Feb 2015, 13:50
slatch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Been almost a month since this accident. Not much information about what happened. Has anybody been to Tacloban and seen whats happened to the aircraft? Hard to believe it could be fixed there with no hangers, etc.

No METAR data available for after 11am. Accident happened approx 13:45.
Earlier METAR shows rising wind speed and dropping BARO. Previous METAR showed a steady wind direction of 270. Wind at 11am 16 mph rising steady at 5 mph per hour.

Tacloban has one runway 18/36, 2138m, 45m.

Seeing the Global 5000 has some rather low takeoff crosswind numbers ( in my opinion )for a 100K lb MTOW aircraft, Dry/Wet 29 / Fair/Medium 20 / Poor 10. It was only a 1 hour flight at best, so probably fairly light.

Popes aircraft departed early because of deteriorating weather.

The runway is in poor shape (information from pilots flying there).

It was reportedly taking off runway 18.

It reportedly ends up on the east side of the runway nose pointing approx 020 degrees. Left MLG collapsed, NLG collapsed, left wing tip torn off. So it did about a 160 degree turn.

So what do people think? Excessive crosswind component? Poor runway and the LMLG hits a hole and spins/collapses. Big wind gust at the worst time? The left wing tip got torn off, the right wing must have been pretty high.

Seeing how little information the CAA gives out on previous accidents I would not hold my breath until a report is released.

See this two year old accident with no answers....at least that I can find...

http://www.pprune.org/tech-log/51849...-iao-rpns.html