PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 2013/14 compensation payments arising out of low flying.
Old 14th Feb 2015, 04:49
2 TWU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Years ago, I was involved with 2 claims, both fraudulent.

There used to be a woman farmer who was on the SW corner of the Dartmoor danger area and yes, there was a choke point between Dartmoor and Plymouth but she was claiming millions. The cops investigated and asked her to log all overflights in a weeks period, they did the same from down the road. When she presented her figures, she had exaggerated the number of overflights by a factor of 10---case dismissed.

Leading a pair of F4s descending to low level, a claim was made against us that we had upset a horse pulling a cart, horse bolted, 2 girls thrown out, one with a broken arm. We were there but estimated we flew over the site at @1500ft as we descended and luckily still had our maps to show our plan. Again the cops investigated and discovered the truth. The lasses had lost control of the horse a couple of minutes before we flew over and as you would expect, as we were descending we were throttled back not really making any noise. They also took film of the 'broken arm' girl shovelling horse manure just a couple of weeks after the supposed instance.

So from me, full marks to the cops for sorting things out. I understand that in the second instance they got their info from buying beer for some locals in the pub!

As an aside, the National Farmers Union used to produce a pack of how to claim against the MoD, don't know if that's still the case