PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Direct Entry Pilot.
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2015, 16:21
BitMoreRightRudder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How long can a new joiner on the a320 expect to wait before going long haul preferably on 777 fleet?
Engagement freeze is 5 years on type. You will likely have to wait longer to get onto a LH fleet. At the moment the wait is around 6 years but the situation changes regularly. You may even get a move before the 5 year freeze is up. The 777 is becoming the fleet to be on due route network, and hence the preference of senior F/Os moving across from the 747, so it could be a longer wait if that is your chosen posting.

If you join on SH you will work hard - my figures for days off are similar to Bex. I'm working as hard as I did at ezy, if not harder if you count total hours at work. Nightstops vary with seniority. New joiners will be on blind lines, often these will comprise 3-4 day trips working weekends, with a few day trips thrown in. SH is no picnic and gets worse by the year, once EASA FTLs arrive things will get really fun.

All that said, still a good contract, still a decent career to be had. There isn't much better out there, as long as you count patience as a virtue and don't mind wearing a silly hat