PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Yemen
Thread: Yemen
View Single Post
Old 9th Feb 2015, 16:26
Lonewolf_50

Received 401 Likes on 248 Posts
Harry on a few counts dead right and on others not so right.
Yemen is not that simple boys - it has a lot of tribes and they all like to get involved - bit like Afghanistan
If you want an analogy, see the Brits and French in the New World, 1600's-1780's, and the various tribes they allied with for their own ends. These tribes already quarreled with each other extensively.
Can't see the southerners (ie Aden area) being very happy about this lot
from the far north - and the Saudis still pull a lot of strings in the country
Indeed. And various interests within Saudi provide funds to their favorite clients.
best to stay out of it - they are quite happy fighting each other
Aye, per my first point.
The average Yemeni makes the NRA in the States look like Sunday School teachers so there's no need to provide any support to any side
Pretty stupid statement, given that I don't think you grasp what the NRA actually does. (You might be surprised at how many Sunday School teachers are also NRA members ... I can name you a dozen in my own parish, male and female). However, I'll agree with you that the locals are well armed for their own reasons, and not likely to stop being so any time soon.

What a lot of folks in Yemen don't have is money. Money is what keeps fights going for extended periods of time. As above, various players from outside will keep feeding money to their favorite clients.

If by "we" you mean the US and the Brits, I will tend to agree. There are enough interested players to pump money into that fight to make it unnecessary for us to do so. It will keep going for quite some time unless I miss my guess badly.