PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Complete novice, Advice needed.
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2015, 23:22
speedrestriction
I REALLY SHOULDN'T BE HERE

Received 82 Likes on 27 Posts
Agree: medical must be first port of call.

Complete your degree, something to fall back on when flying deals you a s**t hand. Also gives you more to talk about in competency type interviews (working to a deadline, able to self motivate) though no doubt you will have many fine examples from your previous line of work.

Airliners are generally a more comfortable working environment than helis albeit there is a lot of interesting work in rotary. In the rotary field there are fewer jobs available but there are fewer applicant looking for those jobs. There is I suspect more competition for those jobs from ex forces pilots than is the case in fixed wing. On the civil/airline side there are more jobs but also many more applicants looking for those jobs. Airline recruitment is very un-even and it is nearly impossible to guess when there will next be any large scale demand for new pilots. If it was me and I was totally committed to pursuing a commercial aviation path then I would be trying to get on a preselected course for one of the airlines through one of the designated suppliers (CTC/OAA etc). Unfortunately they seem to have the cadet market cornered when it comes to the two biggest UK airlines.

No easy answers I'm afraid! Best of luck whatever path you follow.