PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Complete novice, Advice needed.
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2015, 20:18
leedsample

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Complete novice, Advice needed.

Ok here goes. Im sure there has probably been another post similar to this, however i have searched and found nothing.

To fully understand what i am asking you should know abit about me. I am 25 years old, i was a soldier for 6 years and i have been at Durham university for the last 2 years working towards a degree in Physical Geography (as i planned on becoming a secondary school geography teacher). I was wounded in action in Afghanistan and discharged in 2012, i am fine now and confident on passing any medical required. I would ideally like to have a career in aviation and i skydive too (400+ jumps) as i really enjoy every aspect of aviation.

Long story short my medical insurance has finally settled and i now have enough money to comfortably spend on training to become a commercial pilot (150k+). I am very inexperienced in this area and would like to hear any advice from this community, good and bad, even if you think trying for a career in aviation is a bad move for what ever reason. what do you think i should be aiming for? the aviation industry as a whole, rotary or fixed wing etc. i would like to complete my degree otherwise the last 2 years would have been a waste. So this means i can do it in my free time for the next 2 years before really investing 100% of my effort into it. Any tips for newbiess etc?

As it stands i was planning on going with a provider based out of newcastle airport on a part time basis and try to complete my PPL then move forward but i do like the sound of of the rotary side of life but i am unsure to what end? as i would imagine the job sector would be smaller and i know its alot more expensive so i am an open book and would like to hear any advice on the matter so i can make an informed decision. As ive said even if you think im being silly or short sighted please say so as id like to hear any viewpoint.

thank you for your time!