PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Puma pit stop, airborne wheel changes.
View Single Post
Old 31st Jan 2015, 18:46
Fareastdriver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
All the Pumas I have seen worldwide have a VHF ariel mounted on the bottom starboard nose which would suffer in a wheels up.

An interesting one I had in the mid 70s was a nose oleo overrunning. Previous to that the nosewheel would come down at the same rate as the mainwheels. Sometimes, as in this case, the inertia of the nosewheel would cause the jack to fracture and the piston would overrun causing the gear to jam in the over centre position against the side of the nosewheel bay. Then all the hydraulic oil on the No 1 system would follow it.

It had happened before and I had thought about it so when the bang came and the light turned red I pulled the Emerg Hyd handle that isolated the No 1 Hyds. I then landed it because the undercarriage was safe against the bay wall.

This happened at Thetford so I got onto the blower and told the squadron at Odiham all about it. They then asked me to fly it back!!!!!

You can cocoa.

The modification was to put a restrictor in the nosewheel jack so that is why it travels more slowly than the mainwheels. Strangely, it wasn't done to the civvy ones, probably because they don't cycle the undercarriage so much.

I still cannot understand why RAF pilots have to climb over the jump seat to get in the cockpit whereares the rest of the world get in through the cockpit doors that the manufacurer provided.