PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NEWCASTLE - 8
Thread: NEWCASTLE - 8
View Single Post
Old 31st Jan 2015, 15:34
EK77WNCL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
INeedTheFull90, reply #6091

I understand why EZY are ending the route, as you pointed out they are valuable slots; more money elsewhere; impact on efficiency etc. It's just a shame when it is a profitable route and when growth is so large. Just have to hope BE does well to STN...

If NCL ever regains it's flybe base, NCL-LCY could seem like a good shout with flybe's new lower fares.

EDIT: ConstantFlyer, I agree, this is an extract from what I posted on my aviation related page on Facebook on Wednesday:

"Good news, in that Newcastle will be eligible for the route development fund as all airports under 5 million passengers are eligible. Total of £56 million over 3 years, £17.5 million available this year. The airport has to make a submission but I see no reason why they won't since they lobbied for it to be increased to 5 million. Perhaps some of this money may go to supporting United, but according to a recent press release they are "very excited" about the Newcastle route and so far it is selling well (http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/...t-wait-8478411). I think they have the right idea, getting American's to the North East is arguably more important to long term success than the other way round. We all know Geordies want to head off to the States but the North East is less known across America (unfortunately - because they love castles and countryside and our beaches, hadrians wall, and Geordies themselves! So it stands to reason they'd probably like Newcastle and the North East as a place!). Even still, it would also be really nice to see some new routes from Newcastle as well so my suggestion is to inundate the airport and let them know what routes you want to see! They can afford them now! What's your wishlist?"