PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Part 61 - Airline cyclics and pvt flying
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2015, 20:23
Oktas8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, I did my last SIM check in the A330 ( before the Part 61 rule change ) around July 2014. Therefore I'm legal to fly a light Aircraft for 2 years after that date
No, I don't think so. The old law has ceased to exist, and only Part 61 exists now. Flight reviews done under the old system are still valid for two years, as specified in Part 61. But you didn't do a flight review. Therefore Part 61, from the first day it was effective, required you to do an on-type review. I don't see anything in Part 61 that specifies grandfather rights for old privileges.

On another note... I couldn't understand all that CASA legalese. So I went through it, changing it into English grammar & punctuation. Here's how it would be written under an overseas Part 61:

61.800 Flight Reviews

(1) A pilot in command must have a valid flight review.

(2) The 24 month rule:
A flight review is valid from when it is completed, until the end of the 24th month after the month in which it was completed. If the review is completed within three months of expiry of the previous flight review, the expiry date becomes the end of the 24th month after the expiry of the previous review.

(3) Validity restricted to a specific type or class:
The flight review must be conducted in an aircraft of the same type as specified in paragraph (a) or (b). (For this regulation, an aircraft is deemed to be of equivalent type if it falls within the class of aircraft covered by the rating.)
(a) If the aircraft covered by the rating is a type of single engine helicopter prescribed by regulation 61.063, the review must be conducted in a helicopter of the type covered by the rating, or a type deemed by CASA to be equivalent. It is also acceptable to use an approved flight simulator, for a helicopter of the same or equivalent type.
(b) For any other type of aircraft, the review must be conducted in an aircraft of the type covered by the rating, or an approved flight simulator for that type of aircraft.

(4) Other training or tests satisfying this regulation:
For subregulation (2), the holder is taken to have completed a flight review for the rating if the holder passes the flight test for the rating, or passes the flight test for an operational rating in the aircraft type, or completes flight training for a design feature endorsement on the aircraft type, or completes an operator proficiency check covering operations on type.
The holder is also taken to have completed a flight review if any of the following proficiency checks have been successfully completed in an aircraft of the same type or an approved flight training device:
(a) an instrument proficiency check;
(b) a night vision imaging system proficiency check;
(c) an aerial application proficiency check;
(d) an instructor proficiency check;
(e) an examiner proficiency check.

(5) Cyclic training & checking:
A pilot in command is taken to have a valid flight review if the pilot is successfully participating in an operator’s training and checking system for an operation in an aircraft of the type covered by the rating. However, the training and checking system must be approved under regulation 61.040.

Note: For general rules in relation to flight reviews, see regulation 61.400.