PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DURHAM TEES VALLEY AIRPORT - 6
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2015, 13:45
Mike Tee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let me try and explain. I haven,t quite reached the 74 years living next to the airport which you deem necessary to be able to be form an opinion regarding what I and many others find to be an annoying intrusion to our quality of life. I "have" lived next to the airport for well over fifty years and in all that time the only other reason we have had cause to complain was when the Police operated the "Islander" with it's very noisy piston engines. Lots of us where regularly woken in the dead of night by that aircraft droning around at low level, flaps deployed and high power settings. Thankfully that is a thing of the past. The "normal" airport movements of departures, arrivals and circuit training of all types from club light aircraft to passenger jet transports are not a problem as their noise "footprint" and duration is generally quite short.
The Para Drop aircraft operation can in no way be described as normal for an operational "Airport" and is more suited to a rural flying club. The aircraft used is noted as being particularly noisy and the practice of climbing to "drop height" in the overhead before a rapid descent, re-load and repeat the process is intrusive and annoying.
I wonder just what ATC think of the possible operation of Microlights from an "International Airport" in controlled airspace !!.