PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Part 61 - Airline cyclics and pvt flying
View Single Post
Old 29th Jan 2015, 23:54
Squawk7700

Received 194 Likes on 101 Posts
Part 61 - Airline cyclics and pvt flying

I was alerted to this one recently.

Is it everyone's belief that I have this correct in that if you are an airline pilot and have completed your IR renewal, cyclic or line check (insert company SOP here), that you are then issued a new part 61 licence, however you have NOT been checked out on your private aircraft (or perhaps a hired 172) and therefore you are NOT licenced to fly "privately?"

For Airline Pilots that own/operate light single/twin engine fixed/rotary wing aircraft

a) the holder is successfully participating in an operator’s training and checking system for an operation in an aircraft of the type covered by the rating; - this actually specifies it will only give Flight Reviews for the type of the aircraft that it was done under the training and checking system (Cyclic Programme). other rules apply for the other class/types

61.800 Limitations on exercise of privileges of pilot type ratings—flight review
(1) The holder of a pilot type rating is authorised to exercise the privileges of the rating as the pilot in command of an aircraft only if the holder has a valid flight review for the rating.
(2) For subregulation (1), the holder has a valid flight review for the rating during the period beginning when the holder successfully completes a flight review for the rating in accordance with subregulation (3) and ending:
(a) at the end of the 24th month after the month in which the holder completes the review; or
(b) if:
(i) the holder already has a valid flight review for the rating (the previous flight review) when the holder successfully completes the flight review; and
(ii) the validity of the previous flight review is due to expire within 3 months after the holder successfully complete the flight review;
at the end of the 24th month after the validity of the previous flight review expires.
(3) For subregulation (2), the flight review must be conducted in:
(a) if the aircraft covered by the rating is a type of single engine helicopter prescribed by an instrument under regulation 61.063:
(i) a helicopter of the type covered by the rating; or
(ii) an approved flight simulator for that type of helicopter; or
(iii) a type of single engine helicopter prescribed by the instrument as equivalent to the type covered by the rating; or
(iv) an approved flight simulator for that type of helicopter; or
(b) in any other case:
(i) an aircraft of the type covered by the rating; or
(ii) an approved flight simulator for that type of aircraft.
(4) For subregulation (2), the holder is taken to have successfully completed a flight review for the rating if the holder:
(a) passes the flight test for the rating; or
(b) passes the flight test for an operational rating in an aircraft of the class covered by the type rating; or
(c) completes flight training for a design feature endorsement in an aircraft of the class covered by the type rating; or
(d) successfully completes:
(i) an operator proficiency check that covers operations in the type; or
(ii) a proficiency check mentioned in subregulation (5) in an aircraft of the type or an approved flight simulation training device for the purpose.
(5) For subparagraph (4)(d)(ii), the proficiency checks are as follows:
(5) For subparagraph (4)(d)(ii), the proficiency checks are as follows:
(a) an instrument proficiency check;
(b) a night vision imaging system proficiency check;
(c) an aerial application proficiency check;
(d) an instructor proficiency check;
(e) an examiner proficiency check.
(6) For subregulation (1), the holder is taken to have a valid flight review for the rating if:
(a) the holder is successfully participating in an operator’s training and checking system for an operation in an aircraft of the type covered by the rating; and
(b) the operator holds an approval under regulation 61.040 for the system for this subregulation and operations in aircraft of that type.
Note: For general rules in relation to flight reviews, see regulation 61.400.