PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CAA revalidation by experience when abroad
Old 29th Jan 2015, 22:10
Level Attitude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I feel that I undertook every reasonable step I could do to find out whether the revalidation may be carried out by a non-UK EASA examiner. I was told multiple times that a non-UK EASA examiner can do revalidation by experience. The first written response on my urgent request arrived after 9 days, two days before my rating expires, telling me the opposite of what my examiner and I have heard before.
Your request was urgent to you, that does not make it urgent to the recipient.
Why did you leave it until less than two weeks of Rating validity were left?

On your other points:
'testnotification' is used only for the purpose in the name, and does give out automated responses.
It is unfortunate that you believe you were verbally mis-informed by the CAA - but, probably for this very reason, they do state technical queries must be submitted in writing. Having 'heard' the answer you wanted did you ask for a reference?

Has anybody ever managed to fax or email in licensing document to the CAA (SRG1119B in my case)? If I express-mail them tomorrow, they'll probably arrive on the 31st still. Will that be sufficient for a successful revalidation?
I believe they will need SRG1119B, SRG1157 (signed by Examiner), Copies of Examiner Credentials, Certified Copy of your Ratings Page (whole Licence if currently a Part-FCL Licence, Part-FCL Application Form and fee if not) and the appropriate fee.
NB: It may be that the Test Authorisation received by your Examiner will suffice instead of copies of his credentials.

It doesn't matter when the forms arrive at the CAA, your Rating must be valid on the day they undertake the Revalidation process - which means you must hope they will do it by close of play on Friday 30th.

So even if all the revalidation requirements are fulfilled on expiry day, the rating expires just because the signature is given a day later. What would be a reasonable rationale for this?
There are many rationales for this - though not everybody would agree that all of them are reasonable.

Here is one:
All flying qualifications must be maintained by test, confirmed to the CAA by the Examiner.
As an exception to the above SEP and TMG may be maintained (Revalidated) by meeting certain experience requirements, confirmed to the CAA by an Examiner.
If out of date a Rating cannot be revalidated it can only be renewed. You are now wanting to change this, rather fundamental, aspect of Part-FCL. How would you write the regulations?