PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CAA revalidation by experience when abroad
Old 29th Jan 2015, 17:44
Zonkor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Careful!

In the meantime, I got the revalidation by experience signed by a German EASA examiner.

HOWEVER, after 9 days, I finally received a reply to my inquiry (with the word "URGENT" in the subject) with the CAA. The response is a bit baffling to me, to say the least:

Thank you for your email regarding the revalidation of your SEP rating by experience.

I confirm a non UK examiner is not able to revalidate an SEP rating by experience on a licence. This can only be undertaken by an appropriately authorised UK examiner or by the UK CAA. The rating must be revalidated on the certificate of revalidation before the rating has expired. Therefore if your SEP rating expires on 31st January it would need to have been revalidated on your licence by the appropriate examiner or the UK CAA on or before 31st January.

If this requirement cannot be met you will need to meet the rating renewal requirements by attending an ATO to undertake any refresher training the access you require. After which you will need to pass a proficiency check. This can be undertaken by any Part FCL examiner, they must however comply with information notice IN 2014/114

IN-2014/114: Procedures for Examiners Holding Part-FCL Certificates Issued by Countries Other than the UK | Publications | About the CAA

All information provided is based on the requirements and regulation as at the date of this email. Our telephone operators will respond to routine administration enquires, however technical enquiries should be submitted in writing. Our telephone lines are open from 8.30am and 16.30pm.
Your co-operation is appreciated.
Reading section 6.2 of that document:

Unless specifically authorised by the UK CAA, examiners holding Part-FCL examiner certificates issued by countries other than the UK are not permitted to endorse the certificate of revalidation of a UK-issued licence, Where the examiner notifies the intent to conduct a proficiency check or assessment of competence in accordance with the procedure under paragraph 4 of this Information Notice, the e-mail from the CAA confirming notification will include an authorisation permitting the examiner to endorse the revalidation page of the licence. This authorisation will be valid once only and will be for the specific renewal/revalidation of the qualification for the particular licence holder being examined. Where the non-UK examiner is not authorised to endorse the licence, the application for revalidation/renewal must be made to the CAA enclosing evidence of compliance with the renewal requirements.
What the?! This is contradicting everything I've heard so far, including from the CAA personell and licensing hotline. (They told me that just an email by the examiner to testnotification is necessary to get an authorization.)

Is my revalidation valid or not?

Thanks,

Michael