PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying School feedback shutdown
View Single Post
Old 29th Jan 2015, 16:23
tail wheel

Received 232 Likes on 123 Posts
So why can't this website indemnify itself and say they are not responsible for what is posted? Seems to work in many other situations in the world.
Simply because PPRuNe is the publisher and is thus legally responsible for what is published on this site. There have been incidents over the years, including legal action initiated by certain international airlines and individuals, when offended or maligned parties have resorted to legal process to obtain details of PPRuNe users, to the financial and in some cases vocational detriment of those users.

The PPRuNe publisher is domicile in California and litigant use the simple and inexpensive SLAPP Subpoena to discover PPRuNe user details - as some PPRuNe user have discovered to their detriment. The Moderators have a duty of care to our users and a responsibility to the PPRuNe publishers.

So why can't this website indemnify itself and say they are not responsible for what is posted?
Because lack of knowledge of the law is no defence. A news paper or TV station is liable for all it publishes; so is PPRuNe. I suggested recently to PC Plod that my vehicle caused an overspeed on a down hill run, resulting in my car travelling at 72 kms in a 60 zone. Plod suggested that I should have been aware of the overspeed, however he felt it reasonable I pay the $151 fine on behalf of my car! Anyone have any Queensland demerit points they may care to donate to a worthy cause?

I'd have thought it would be a bit unwise for anyone to pick a school based on something an anonymous stranger has said on an internet forum.
I recall some years ago that one flying training industry person had over 20 PPRuNe user identities (I think it was 28 we found?) and would regularly pose as a newbie seeking advice on a suitable training establishment, then post numerous, glowing recommendations from various user names, for the training establishment he owned. That is why Mods can see the IP address of all users and easily search and compare user IP addresses.

I'd have serious concerns for the gullibility of any person that took seriously any advice about flying training posted on an anonymous internet bulletin board! If anyone thinks this anonymous web site is 100% credible in it's flying training advice, I have a very nice bridge for sale in Sydney, on special this week.......

Make it that posts can only be made after x time (days?) from new registration
Our anti spam already scans, captures and queues for Moderation any posts by new users with less than 10 posts, that contains certain words, phrases or links. It is not perfect and some subjective posts do slip through. If we captured and queued for moderation all of the first ten posts by all new users, we would need a veritable army of Moderators.

So why is it permissible for the LoP zealots to advertise their course in threads?
We have received complaints from these organisations that their threads are being shut down. The reason is simple; PPRuNe is publishing "advice" on the operation of an aircraft which may or may not be in accordance or in conflict with the manufacturer's recommendations, advice or instructions or the regulatory authority legislation. As such, in the event of an accident/incident PPRuNe may be potentially liable for what has been published and the resultant accident/incident. At very least, PPRuNe could be caught in the flood of subpoenas and summons issued and served in common law matters. Been there, done that, not interested in a repeat performance.

No doubt these people provide an excellent service and forum for pilots to learn more about their aircraft engines, but please, not through PPRuNe.

Our official PPRuNe advice: read the aircraft manufacturers operating manual.

PPRuNe and it's Mods can't keep all the people happy all the time but we do try to keep some people happy some of the time. And some people unhappy most of the time!

Finally and philosophically the Professional Pilots Rumour and News (PPRuNe) Australia, New Zealand and the Pacific forums are specifically and primarily for news and reliable rumours with credibility and integrity, by and for the interest of professional pilots operating in this region. We have other forums dedicated to tech junkies, newbies, plane spotters etc.