PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Evening ATC operations question!
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2015, 20:31
Tarq57

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by KNIEVEL77
Is this way of working ever likely to be unsafe?
Could it, in practice, ever jeopardise the safety of an aircraft and it's cargo?
Presumably the 'powers that be' have done an in depth study to prove not?
It was a significant - perhaps the major - contributing factor relating to a middair at Uberlingen a few years ago.

Where I work, combining positions at the same sector or unit is normal, and acceptable, in light traffic.

Combining two completely different sectors I'd consider to be unduly risky. Because the combination of factors that could bring about "undue risk" might only happen a few times a year (or month), I guess the bean counters have decided it's acceptable. Safety cases tend to be internal, and can have quite subjective interpretations, depending on who is doing it.

To anyone who finds themselves having to work two sectors, try and keep a robust scan going. If you can combine the required info onto one display, or at least displays at one operating position (rather than having to lean or walk from one to the other) and combine the frequencies, that can help.

In my experience, we aren't that well trained in how to manage the unusual, or high-demand situations. A few tips and tricks from those who have had to do it are worth a bit.