PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LEEDS 5
Thread: LEEDS 5
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2015, 17:30
LEEDS APPROACH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_S
To use your own words, it's a very basic principle. That's how you're using it - as a very basic principle. I don't deny the basic principle but my point was that there are a multitude of other factors that need to be taken into consideration. That's why I say you're being too simplistic.

The operative word here is "sufficiently". No one denies LBA's limitations, but despite it's constraints it is a thriving regional airport. It works "sufficiently" well that there is very little enthusiasm in investing a lot of time and money in closing the place down and setting up shop somewhere else.

I am not remotely interested in MAN btw. I've actually gone on record on PPRuNe as being opposed to MAG's takeover of STN. But that's another story.
It is not thriving - it is underperforming massively because it is in the wrong position to serve the WHOLE of Yorkshire and neighbouring regions. It is using up the Leeds city region population but outside of that region passengers are choosing more accessible airports (not with a short runway on a hill). The east of the pennines has a population greater than Scotland and therefore there is no reason (other than propping up MAN) why Yorkshire should not have (and can profitably support) an airport of its own that can be easily reached and can properly do the job in aviation terms. MAN would obviously be the main airport for the North but Yorkshire would have a smaller version. NW politicians would fight tooth and nail to stop this happening.