PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LEEDS 5
Thread: LEEDS 5
View Single Post
Old 25th Jan 2015, 20:53
LEEDS APPROACH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HOODED
Leeds Approach. I am well aware that landing from the North you loose SOME runway as I did my PPL at LBA. Half is somewhat of an exaggeration though. The runway is 7380 feet extended from 5400 ft many years ago. I seem to remember it was extended at the Northern end and the new 2000ft bit has the displayed threshold on it....Half really!! LBA on 14 has less than 2000ft unusable of the 7380ft. Also 747s have landed that way, tight but doable. Are you aware that modern wide body aircraft like the 787 and A350 are much less reliant on huge long runways? Are you also aware that departing off 14 where length is more important you have a take off distance of over 10000ft due to no obstacles. Guess we will just have to beg to differ. Have a look at Luton....on a hill, short runway, not much space but hey they're still going. I look forward to landing at Yorkshire Tadcaster Airport after LBA has closed. I can then drive home to North Leeds in just short of the time it would have taken to have Landed at DSA or MAN.
You need to check your runway available distances mate and then you will understand exactly where I am coming from. The actual runway length has little to do with anything. TORA / LDA .The problem is airlines look at worst case scenarios before deciding to operate certain routes and aircraft. (PIA). It's not the good days it's the bad days! If you cannot land every time - then you cant land! If you haven't landed then you sure as hell cant take off again - that is Yeadon in a nutshell.