PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Direct Entry Pilot.
View Single Post
Old 25th Jan 2015, 07:47
bex88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Balpa has agreed to roster SH only to EASA FTL's......the long haul fleets are still covered by the old agreement. I understand there is a bit of an argument between what the company and the union think they agreed to.

The amount of credit per trip in a block of work has been reduced so we can expect to have to work another day a month when CAP is high. I was doing 20-21 days a month last summer and still could not reach CAP because the trip credit was so low. Eg say CAP is 89hrs divide this by minimum day credit of 4.5 and you get 20 days work to meet cap. Now the duty rig has been changed you won't get 4.30 per day in a block of work but more like 4.15 so now you have to work 22 days to achieve the same credit. The FTL are now EASA and the new tables have entered our manuals.

The benefit for the company is in them being able to build in more time between our flights when we turn round at home base. Inefficient you would think? Apparently not as it enables the program to be far more robust during disruption. If you are late inbound with an aircraft swap and a minimum turn around time then your next flight goes late. With this system the flight crew are waiting to take the plane off you as they have had a long turn around. They get out ASAP and you now have what was a long turnaround reduced to something approaching normal so you can now get your program back on time. Thats the theory and it makes no difference to the company in cost if your on duty pay in a comfy hotel or a grotty windowless staff canteen. I don't think our time away from base is going to increase because that would increase the cost base but more time in uniform and less time down route is a given

So I don't sound like a complete arse I would sum it up like this. The company asks a lot of you and in return they offer a good package (maybe not the best but competitive) The company in my experience has been very good when i have needed dependency leave and or injury / illness.

If you don't live near London then you really need to think very carefully about your salary and cost of accommodation. Friends of mine commute and to put it very mildly it has been difficult on them and their families.

Truth of BA in the bottom 3rd I am afraid.