PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NEWCASTLE - 8
Thread: NEWCASTLE - 8
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2015, 21:53
Fairdealfrank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
APD

If it affects Newcastle what hope will DTV have?
I see DTV MP Phil Wilson is mentioned, but the chancellor won't reply to the Labour party letters from way back in November, so he can't do anything as usual! As much use as a chocolate fire guard.
Thought it was just that the revenue from APD at Scots airports would be handed over to the Scottish Executive to spend. Got that wrong.

Although I do think I have an amazing idea, to stop NCL (and others) losing out if we give Scotland more (which we will), one of the following should happen, in order of preference:
1. Cut APD to all airports with under 20,000,000 PPA (just clinches top spot, simply due to the complete and utter selfishness that it would help NCL win a bit over MAN)
2. Cut APD alltogether!!!
3. Cut APD to every airport outside the home counties... I quite like that one too.
Nonsense, only 2. makes any sense.

So it's official, APD is being devolved tOo Scotland. This could mean that NCL will lose out to EDI and GLA. Of course, the airlines may not pass on any savings to the customer, and thus nothing will change.

Thoughts?
The aggravation, hassle, time and cost of flying from EDI instead of NCL (all other things being equal) make it unlikely in most cases.

We didn't ask for Scotland to be part of the UK and to be honest a lot of people wanted them to go independent. I personally did. The English also have NO representation in government and are deprived a national identity.
All in all life ain't all that bad North of the border.
Nor did the Scots, it was a stitch-up by the establishments/parliaments in both England and Scotland at the time (1707). The people did not have a say. Best decision made as it turned out.