PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FBW question
Thread: FBW question
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2015, 11:37
Uplinker

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts
I have flown C172, PA28, Zlin, PA34, SD360, Q400, A320/321 and A330.

Given that my day job is commercial passenger flying - involving many aspects of flight in busy airspace, or at the tail end of an 8 hour transatlantic crossing, I am happy to let the FBW do some of the donkey work; trimming and prevent overstresses etc. while we monitor and 'conduct' the flight. One soon develops a "feel" for what is going on without having to have an actual 'feel' through the side stick. I can see what is going on by scanning my instruments. If I want to actually FLY an aircraft, and trim it etc., I could always go back to the Zlin !

Like any system, FBW is not perfect and has its gotcha's. e.g. AF447 et al. I personally think we should have more training rather than the minimum required. I think we should be actively encouraged to hand fly more often - like recording LVP approaches, and I think the side sticks should physically follow each other so we both can see or feel what the other pilot is doing. Obviously there would then need to be a disconnect system, but the one in the Q400 seemed to work very well, (albeit they use mechanical yokes not side sticks).

Just my 2p worth.