PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK SAR 2013 privatisation: the new thread
Old 20th Jan 2015, 16:39
Flounder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wasn't suggesting that VHLD and PHLD are the answer to everything or that solely using automation is way the S92 is flown.

I only aimed to clarify how the S92 maintained position on automatics in SAR AFCS modes. I use VHLD to assist whilst flying night decks as it retains a useful reference point should you lose references on the vessel. It aids to stability ensuring a better service to the WO and ultimately the WM. It is very capable when I've carried out transfers to dinghys or a raft of small vessels when operating above 100ft with no references.

It all adds greatly to safety but I suppose the "I did it manual in a Wessex" attitude will always say how it was so much harder in their day. I wouldn't know, I've only flown over 1000 hours on S92 in SAR and 7000 hours in total so I'm still a young 'un compared to the wise counsel who sit in judgement on here.

I think it's churlish to deny that the S92 is able SAR platform after over 7 years of service and much refinement in all modes of operation.