PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "USA Today" article about A-300 rudder problems?
Old 4th Jun 2003, 11:14
PlaneTruth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cedarjst,

Ahhh, The Untied incident!

I talked to a UA guy who had a buddy on the jumpseat (there were two jumpseaters reportedly onboard that day.) The hill was actually covered by one and two story homes. As the stickshaker was wailing the jumpeaters were yelling "PUSH!! PUSH!!" at the Captain who was flying but it was unclear whether they could see the close proximity to the hillside. Reportedly, some 70 windows were damage due to noise and jetblast along that street. Guesstimates were that the radar altimeter would have been below 100 feet had anyone noticed.

The first question is why didn't the guy use rudder. The United ALPA folks initially came out with an statement that United does their engine-out procedure differently than other airlines. When this hit the streets, they quickly changed their story. Obviously their method was inept. Or, their story was.

The main question I have is: Where was the Captain during the first 45 degrees of yaw off course? No doubt about it, he waited far too long to exercise his authority to take the jet.

I think there is a definite propensity to loose piloting skills as automation becomes the norm. At my company, we will never hook up VNAV because it requires that we stay in the loop. We have computer VNAV path information available in the form of a glideslope indicator but we actually hand fly the climbs and descents. It definitely keeps you involved.

Having only worked at this airline I cannot speak for others. I flew five legs today and six yesterday, for a total of 15 for the three-day. With that kind of frequency, you either get up to speed quickly or you are a dolt and we don't have too many of those here. I have heard from buds at other carriers (and observed on jumpseats) that many pilots first instinct is to start typing when things need attention. My first inclination is to punch off the autopilot and operate the plane.

Cheers,

PT