PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So where are all the jobs then?
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2015, 11:49
Whiskey Hotel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd agree 100% with officer kite. Having the money is simply not enough. There are guys out there with all the required licences and some with 250hrs and some with upwards of 1000hrs who are doing instructing or groundschool instruction who still cannot get jobs. It seems that there is some demand for pilots with 2000hrs+ jet hours and these are getting jobs with various airlines, but the market is very tough for low hours pilots. Also, some airlines require you to fork out 15-20k plus for type ratings, so this is an added cost to your training costs. I'm doing I've modular route and I honestly don't know if it will pay off, some say that demand will increase significantly in the next few years with a lot of pilots going to the Middle East therefore opening up new first officer positions in western Europe. But there is a huge over supply of low hours graduates at present, which makes it a quite unattractive prospect for new people considering becoming pilots. Supply is greater than demand, therefore many pilots are sitting on the shelf for the past number of years, and sadly, many will remain in that position.