PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GA ADS-B Trial in Southern England
View Single Post
Old 15th Jan 2015, 09:37
Rod1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
“Rod 1 "I ran my own airborne tests, but 4nm = about 7.5km so it might manage 10km on a good day"

So over 30 seconds warning even if closing speed is 400 knots?”

My comment on range was in response to using the tec to replace radar etc. ADS-B works out to 30 – 50 nm (I am told), FLARM works out to 3 – 4nm. For GA collision avoidance FLARM is brilliant, but if you have two jets closing at 600kn... The tests were done using a Carbon fibre aircraft and a metal aircraft (MCR01 and RV9).

“I understand that you had problems with PowerFLARM not ignoring the aircraft's own transponder. Was this ever resolved?”

The manufacturer kept saying all the issues I found would be fixed in the next FW release. The new FW would arrive and I would redo the tests at my own expense and there would be no change. Eventually I ran out of money and patience. It may work fine now. The issues were on Mode C detraction.

“And could the warning beeps be heard over the engine noise even if wearing ANR headsets?”

It was just about ok. If I integrated it into the EFIS I could have got more flexibility.

“And were you using the portable box or the core with a separate display and/or feeding the information to SkyDemon?”

Only the portable version was available at the time. My MGL EFIS would have accepted the output but I did not test this.

“Finally, any other comments from your trial? Thanks in advance. “

FLARM and ADS-B do exactly what it says on the tin. FLARM is amazing when it comes to avoiding action. Mode c/a/s detection is a black art, some manufacturers have good solutions, others are very poor. It would be unfair for me to say PF is still poor without retesting.

The tests covered PCAS, ADS-B out, ADS-B in, FLARM, PowerFlarm and Mode A/C/S detection. We had to get special permission from the CAA for the ADS-B out bits, full safety case etc.

Rod1