PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK GA 2015 versus 1985
View Single Post
Old 13th Jan 2015, 09:17
john ball

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think it must have shrunk down. I have been flying at Biggin Hill since 1973. The flying clubs that have gone are -- Biggin Hill Flying Club, King Air flying club, South London Flying club, Flairavia, Wemair, Newair, Sportair, Original EFG ( experimental flying group ), Airtouring. The only originals are Surrey and Kent, Alouette, plus the revamped EFG owned by Singh.
It used to be the case of at least ten aircraft in the circuit with the slower ones on the inside and faster ones on the outside and we used both the grass and tarmac and had the use of runway 25/07 as well.
To see an executive jet was something special, now they are the most common sight at Biggin Hill.

I think it is a generation thing --- young boys and girls are not so interested in flying, so the take up is less and with the cost of fuel and maintenance, landing fees it is not surprising with young ones are also struggling to buy a house. It is exactly the same with classic cars, not one person in my office of over hundred knows anything about how to maintain a car -- generation thing not interested and anyway when you open the bonnet of a modern car it is all electronic and covered by a plastic box.