PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Parachuting at Elwood Park
View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2015, 10:36
John Eacott

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
BL,

I guess that you missed the bit where the Nepean Highway goes through the same danger area?

Naysayer, huh. You obviously don't know me, only today I was accused of being the proof of there being old, bold pilots. But with a bit of experience comes the ability to stand back and see that inconveniencing and exposing to risk a greater number than those who actually benefit from an operation isn't always the best option.

Close to 5 minutes in the hour. How many hours a day, 8? 10? that's 40 or 50 minutes a day that other operators are expected to divert from their preferred track and increase their costs. Even more when you realise that many operators now make that a SOP since they cannot rely on knowing when a drop is to occur. The original requirement from CASA directed that drop times be NOTAM'd but this seems to have slipped by the keeper since it can be difficult for drops to always run to schedule, so a blanket NOTAM seems to be the only option.

ps Ad hom has oft been used here, but the Oz slang of 'play the ball, not the man' still holds good